Friday, March 4, 2016

Vocabulary List/ Pobby and Dingan

claim(n): Mum asked one night when she’d got back from her job on the checkout at Khan’s and me and Dad were relaxing after a hard afternoon’s work out at the claim.

wobbling(v): The noise of a car drove into our ears and a four-wheel-drive police jeep came wobbling down the creamy red track that leads to our claim.

startled(v): My dad turned around, startled.

figment(n): Kellyanne glared at me through tears the way she did the time I slammed the door of the ute in Dingan’s face or the time I walked over to where Pobby was supposed to be sitting and punched the air and kicked the air in the head to show Kellyanne that Pobby was a figment of her imaginings.

rummaged(v): He rummaged through piles of rocks.

ute(n): One time he even took Kellyanne, Pobby and Dingan out to the Bore Baths in the ute.

crackpot(n): Lightning Ridge was full of flaming crackpots as far as I could see.

Mello Yello(n): “Pobby and Dingan aren’t dead,” I said, hiding my anger in a swig from my can of Mello Yello.

Mates(n): People who work or live with you. “I still say Kellyanne could do with some real-live mates,”

Opal(n): A kind of stone. "My dad would come back from the opal mines covered in dust, his beard like the back end of a dog that’s shat all over its tail."

Fairdinkum(n): Australian word for "Are you sure?". “Fairdinkum?”

Imaginary(adj): unreal, imaged by someone. "but I wasn’t crazy enough to talk to imaginary friends, I’ll tell you that for nothing."

Grub(n): Food. "She said they were quieter and better behaved than me and deserved the grub."

Fossilized(v): Become a fossil. "There’s rumours going that Lucky Jes has taken out a million-dollar stone and a fossilized mammoth tooth with sun-flash in it."

Mammoth(n): An old animal liked elephant which lived in the ancient time. "There’s rumours going that Lucky Jes has taken out a million-dollar stone and a fossilized mammoth tooth with sun-flash in it."

No comments:

Post a Comment