Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Vocabulary 3

1. mannequin: (plastic person)- She took it off the mannequin and gently pushed me toward the dressing room.
2. second-hand: (something that has been used)- To save money, I had purchased second-hand textbooks from upperclassmen at a fraction of the original price, and I was careful not to use too many notebooks.
3. animatedly: (using a lot of motions and gestures)- Many of our classmates were there, with drinks in hand, talking animatedly.
4. faltered: (to go off of a path)- Flustered, I faltered, then hurriedly responded, "Yes, well, I had a good time, too. Good night." I pulled my hand from his, and ran inside.
5. impulsive: (do things before thinking)- You are a bit impulsive and head' strong at times, but you did well.
6. constrained: (restrictions or rules)- But maybe that was why I had wanted to leave home for a while; I had always felt constrained there.
7. Gregorian: (chant)- I'll be working on campus. A Gregorian chant program is scheduled for June, and students will be coming from around the world.
8. pearl: (type jewelry)- I would wear my cream silk dress and the pearl jewelry that Sister Reed had given me.
9. elope: (to get married without permission)- I just want to elope and get our lives started now!"
10. taciturn: (not speak very much) I would write to each of my taciturn brothers, even though they had never written to me.
11. sobbed: (cried really hard)- I sat, buried my face in my hands, and sobbed.
12. pouch: (a pocket)- In a silk pouch that Mother had made was her thin, white gold wedding band.
13. listlessly: (not moving like it is dead)- As I stared forward listlessly, little Sarah snuggled up against me, and whispered into my ear, "I love you, Sookan." She squeezed my hand.
14. hymn: (religious song)- I was comforted by their high-pitched hymns reverberating in the domed chapel.
15. fainted:  (to pass out/sleep)- She had fainted, and they found out it was a cerebral hemorrhage.



No comments:

Post a Comment