Tuesday, December 1, 2015

After Read 'Gathering of Pearls'

Minseung Kim
11/16/2015
Ms. Guarino
English II (IS) - 2
After Read 'Gathering of Pearls'
When I tried to read this book at first I was surprised that Ms. Gurarino recommended ‘Gathering of Pearls’ for class book. This book was one girl who came from Korea and tried to study in America. After I read 'Gathering of Pearls' this book became my favorite book, because this book made me sad and this book main character Sookan was very similar with me. At first I could not understand why we had to read this book, because this book was just about Korean girl who came to America to study English. However after I finish read this book I was reminding my America’s life and thought about how much effort I had put in. Also I could understand why Ms. Gurarino made us to read this book because we had all ELL classes and tried to learn more English skills in America like Sookan. In this story Sookan could speak English and know English a lot, but Sookan worked hard everytime for her English. After I read this book I felt about work hard could improve our English skills.
When I came to America at first time I was very lonely and tried to make many different friends like Sookan. My English skills were not really good, so many people tried to help school lifestyle at first, but after few month my school lifestyle became better than before. When Sookan came to America Sookan felt everything were hard and difficult from her school, so many people helped her. Actually when international students came to America back then, they could not assimilate to the culture very well. Therefore many American students helped international students a lot, Because many international students worried a lot with their English skills also worried about communication with many American friends and many different teachers.
However when I was eighth grade I had to be ready for study perfectly. After Korean War many Korean people were busy to earn much money. However these day my parents had enough money to support me to study in America, so I decided to go to America in eighth grade. I had great supporter to study in America, but Sookan could not get good supporter. Because their families were poor, and they had no much money to gave Sookan. When Sookan went to America, she was able to be benefitted by this opportunity because she had received a scholarship and was removed from financial burden. I was really lucky and Sookan was unlucky. When I came to America in eighth grade, I was alone like Sookan. I was little nervous too, because I did not know anybody who were in America and I need to all by myself like Sookan. However before school start, there were summer program, so I decided to go summer program. I felt I could make many different friends and became best friends. My choice was right, and from now we became best friends each other. Sookan was nervous to came to America at first, and also I was nervous even I went to America once. However we became better and better, so we made many friends too.
Nowadays and during past days, many different international students or just students came to America and study for their perfect English skills. I loved this book and I want to recommend to many different international students for their effort. In this book 'Gathering of pearls' main character who came from Korea and could not speak English well and could not listen or write English well, but her effort was perfect in this book. She knew she had many problem from her English skills and she practiced and worked really hard for her perfect grade from her all of classes. Some people did not know about big effort makes perfect, and we could see Sookan's effort was perfect and became English teacher and author in this story. I loved Sookan's effort and I want to recommend this book to many people who wanted to become perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment